Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Turning the Tables

These past few weeks I've been papering the legal community with resumes and cover letters all in the (in my mind unlikely) event that one of these contacts would turn into a job. For some reason I've thought of this process in a very dreamy, hypothetical way--as in, "Gee, it'd be really nice to have somewhere to go every morning and get paid for being there." Now, one of my attempts has turned into something more concrete--a job interview. All of a sudden, that whole going-to-work thing doesn't sound so fun anymore...and I haven't even been offered a position yet! My mind is swamped with other details, like what are my child care options? Will I still get to hang out with all my new mom friends? I'm actually lamenting the idea that I might not be able to go to playdates or storytime at the library or to Musikgarten class.

Most interviews involve the employer grilling you with questions (like, "Where do you see yourself in five years?). I know now that my experience will be different. Now I'm not just in it for the money (though it would certainly be nice). I need to find a role that is fulfilling enough to make it worth all that time away from my daughter. That's why tomorrow I'm going to be the one doing the interviewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment