Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Kairos moments

This article has popped up several times on my Facebook news feed (yes, I have returned!), so I thought I'd share it here too. It's a very well-written and humorous article about all the well-meaning but unsolicited advice some of us moms get from total strangers and the effect it has on our psyches.

Mainly the author points out that there's no need to feel pressured to cherish EVERY moment with your child. There will be moments of frustration, anxiety and even anger, which are only exacerbated by mommy guilt. For whatever reason, we feel like we should be happy and joyful all the time and that's just not a realistic goal. It's enough to at least recognize the good times when they happen and allow those moments to sustain us through the not-so good times.

I'm lucky that I get to experience these moments twice-over--once when they happen and then again when I relay them to my husband. Seeing his joy and pride when I tell him about our daughter's exploits makes me feel good not only because it makes him feel good, but it also makes me feel like I'm doing something right. So even if she refused to eat anything but goldfish crackers all day, the fact that she can sing 'Rock-a-bye Baby' to her dollies more than makes up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment