Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Lawyer-Wife?

I came across yet another interesting article from Yahoo! Shine. This one's about the meaning of the term 'wife' and whether we should change the term as the role is being refined. One excerpt in particular struck a chord with me:

 In the very first issue of Ms. Magazine, Judy Syfer defined the traditional role:

I want a wife who will keep my house clean. A wife who will pick up after my children, a wife who will pick up after me. I want a wife who will keep my clothes clean, ironed, mended, replaced when need be, and who will see to it that my personal things are kept in their proper place so that I can find what I need the minute I need it. I want a wife who cooks the meals, a wife who is a good cook. I want a wife who will plan the menus, do the necessary grocery shopping, prepare the meals, serve them pleasantly, and then do the cleaning up …


That's not what I think of when I think of a 'wife.' It sounds more like a slave. Granted, I do take responsibility for many of these tasks in my own household, but my husband is more than capable of organizing his own personal things, thank you very much. I don't necessarily think 'partner' is a fair term either because, to me, it implies equality--and let's face it, no man participates equally in the household with a woman. If such a man exists, I would like to meet him and shake his hand.

To me, the term 'wife' refers to nothing other than a married woman. It doesn't come with a list of duties attached. And why should it? Does a man gain any additional responsibilities just because he becomes a 'husband'?

What I'd really like to know is where did all of these rules come from? Who decided that women should take over all of the essential daily duties? And what does that leave for the men to do--besides working outside the home? Maybe that means they have more time to enjoy some scotch and a cigar. But then when does the woman ever get a break? I'm finding myself torn between accepting the reality of the situation (that being a wife (in the traditional sense of the word) and a mother is a non-stop obligation) or fighting against it and trying to change the situation. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I agree, what responsibilities does a man gain when he becomes a husband? When I think of the term "wife," I think of marriage - in more of a biblical sense. I look forward to being someone's wife some day, not for the "responsibilities" of a traditional wife, but for the opportunity to share my life with my best friend and the man that God intended for me.

    ReplyDelete