Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Mommy Cards

Generally speaking, I don't pay much attention to the advertisements that litter the sidebars of my computer screen. However, one in particular recently caught my eye--an ad for "Mommy Cards."

No, these are not the sort of thing you send to your mother on her birthday. Rather, they are a business card-like construct that lists all the information you would need to set up a playdate. To view examples, see the link below.

I think these cards only serve to further blur the line between motherhood and a traditional career. While I can see the usefulness in them to a certain extent, I actually also find them a bit offensive. There is a large part of me that would like to establish an identity for myself outside of my home and family life. Being known to the world at large as "Mom of So-and-so" doesn't exactly aid in that effort. I guess my true source of discomfort with this "Mommy Card" phenomenon is that it seems like just another way to inflict guilt on us career-minded mothers. They seem to indicate that our kids should be our careers, our business, our lives. Is it so wrong for me to want more than that?

http://www.vistaprint.com/mommy-cards.aspx?mk=%2bmommy+%2bcards&ad=b&GP=12%2f1%2f2011+12%3a12%3a30+AM&GPS=2264385970&GNF=0&GPLSID=

No comments:

Post a Comment